The Prayer, Care, Share Strategy
Every Home for Christ (www.ehc.org) believes that taking the Gospel to our neighbors and communities can be simple. Utilizing a strategy adopted by the Mission America Coalition called “Prayer, Care, Share,” EHC and numerous other members of the coalition have seen firsthand what happens when Christians begin to express Christ-like love to their neighbors and communities.
Today, God can use you to begin “loving your neighbors into the kingdom” as a vital part of Mission America Coalition’s “LOVE2020” strategy. We encourage you to begin to “map” out your neighborhood. Start by praying daily for your neighbors. Then, look for opportunities to express Christ-like care for their physical or “felt” needs. Lastly, look for ways to share the Good News of Jesus. It’s as simple as prayer, care, share!
Action Step One: The Prayer Focus
“Action Step One” for loving my neighbors into the kingdom begins with prayer, right where we live—and then reaches out to our nation and the nations. Every Home for Christ, a 67-year-old ministry that has helped take the Gospel to over 1.6 billion homes in 215 nations, believes God wants us to saturate our own neighborhoods with Christ’s love, beginning by loving our neighbors through daily prayer. Try these suggestions:
- Watching: John 4:35 tells us to open our eyes to the harvest around us. Start a “prayer watch” for your neighbors.
- Walking: Take periodic walks through your neighborhood and quietly pray for your neighbors. (See Joshua 1:3 and Genesis 13:17.)
- Worshiping: Declare God’s praises over your neighbors. The Psalmist said, “God inhabits the praises of His people” (Psalm 22:3). Praise enthrones God in your neighborhood.
- Winning: Look for ways to lead your neighbors to Jesus. (See ideas that follow in Action Step Three, the Share Focus.)
Action Step Two: The Care Focus
In addition to prayer, it’s important to care—which is “Action Step Two” in the Prayer, Care, Share strategy. Consider Christ’s Luke 10 model (Luke 10:5-9). Note the emphasis on caring (e.g. showing kindness) for our neighbors.
- Bless (Our Neighbors): …through speaking peace over them (by name). Jesus said, “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house” (Luke 10:5).
- Know (Our Neighbors): …through intentional, caring fellowship encounters. Jesus said, “Stay in that house, eating and drinking…” (Luke 10:7).
- Help (Our Neighbors): …through focused prayer and acts of specific kindness. Jesus said, “Heal the sick who are there…” (Luke 10:9).
- Tell (Our Neighbors): …through giving them a clear witness of the power of Christ’s love. Jesus told His disciples, “…tell them, ‘The kingdom of God is near you’” (Luke 10:9).
Actions Step Three: The Share Focus
“Action Step Three” for loving our neighbors into the kingdom is to share Christ’s love through personal and relational evangelism, right where we live, work, play, or study. The early Church did this consistently in nearby homes and the marketplace right where they lived. (See Acts 5:42.) Here’s how to get started:
- Pray: …for courage to share Christ. Fear is the great enemy of witnessing.
- Look: …for opportunities to share Christ. Ask God to make those opportunities clear.
- Cultivate: …relationships over a period of time. Start today. Say “hello” to a neighbor.
- Develop: …a specific plan to share Christ. Ask God to reveal this plan.